Chickpea Potato Stew with Baharat
Turkish Chickpea and Potato Stew with Baharat
Gluten-free / Vegan option / Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsps. Spicely® Baharat
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1/2 pound dried chickpeas, cooked as untual until tender) reserve 1 cup cooking liquid if cooking from dry
- Minced fresh mint or cilantro for garnish
- Melt the butter in a 5 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook until they begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook until it starts to brown, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the Spicely Gaharat and cayenne and cook for just 10 seconds to release the flavor; then add the crushed tomatoes, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add 1 cup of the chickpea cooking liquid if available, otherwise add 1 cup of water. Stir thoroughly, cover, bring to a simmer and reduce heat to maintin that simmer. Cook until the potatoes are nearly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the chickpeas and simmer for at least 10 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. If may need more salt, baharat, or cayenne. The spice flavors should be intense, not subtle - though it doesn't need to have a lot of heat if that isn't your preference.
- Garnish with the fresh mint or cilantro and serve hot.