|Recipes - Saffron|
Simple Saffron Rice
1. Pour stock into a medium-size pot with a tight-fitting lid. Place pot on the stove over high heat.
2. While stock is coming to a boil, add the turmeric, saffron, garlic, chili, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir well.
3. Add the rice, plus 1.5 Tbsp. fish sauce (or 1/4 tsp. salt) and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover tightly with a lid. Cook 12-15 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Tip: Insert a fork or knife straight down into the pot and push the rice aside. If you see liquid, it still needs more time to cook.
4. When most of the liquid is gone, turn off the heat and place lid on tight. Allow the pot to remain on the burner another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. The residual heat inside the pot will finish steaming the rice. The rice will stay warm in this way for 1 hour or more.
5. Before serving, remove the lid and fluff rice with chopsticks or a fork. Taste-test for salt, adding 1/2 Tbsp. more fish sauce or a little more salt if needed. If too salty, add another squeeze of lemon juice.