This recipe is a gluten-free take on a sloppy joe. If you want to make it paleo, switch out the brown sugar for honey!
Loaded Sweet Potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 ½ lbs ground turkey
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cup ketchup
1 cup water
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp Organic Chili Powder
1 tsp Organic Ground Mustard
1 tsp Organic Mexican Seasoning
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
Kosher Salt (to taste)
Organic Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
4 Sweet Potatoes
Shredded Cheddar (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Poke each sweet potato several times with a fork. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
2. In a heavy bottomed sauce pot, sauté onions, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil. Add ground turkey until cooked.
3. Add ketchup, brown sugar, water, spices, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until thick and saucy.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Halve baked sweet potatoes and cover with meat sauce. Serve with shredded cheddar.