Gluten Free Loaded Sweet Potato
This recipe is a gluten-free take on a sloppy joe. If you want to make it paleo, switch out the brown sugar for honey!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Organic Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Organic Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Organic Mexican Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- Organic Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- Shredded Cheddar (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Poke each sweet potato several times with a fork. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pot, sauté onions, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil. Add ground turkey until cooked.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, water, spices, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until thick and saucy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Halve baked sweet potatoes and cover with meat sauce. Serve with shredded cheddar.