Spiced Apple and Cranberry Crumble
This apple and cranberry crumble is the perfect dessert for a chilly autumn evening. It comes together easily and will leave your home smelling wonderful as it bakes in your oven. For this recipe, use whatever apples you like. I decided to use gala apples, as the fresh cranberries provide plenty of tartness to the dessert. If you don’t have any fresh cranberries around, feel free to use 1/3 cup of dried cranberries instead.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Cook Time: 90 minutes
- 4 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 3 large apples)
- 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground Organic Cardamom
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground Organic Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground Organic Nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 5 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- ice cream or whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 10- or 9-inch pie dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix apples, cranberries, honey, lemon juice, and cardamom. Pour fruit mixture into prepared skillet and spread it around so that it is level.
- In a separate bowl, mix rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour in melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly moistened. Cover fruit with crumble topping.
- Bake crumble for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the apples are tender when pierced with a fork and the crumble has browned.
- Let crumble cool for a few minutes. Serve crumble in bowls with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.