Gluten-Free, Vegan Falafel
Protein-packed chickpea falafel is a delicious way to shake up a vegetarian or vegan diet. Crispy, filling and loaded with flavorful spices, these falafel balls can also be formed into patties and enjoyed as burgers. Enjoy with a tahini-based sauce, pita bread, with pickled veggies or on top of a salad.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 lb cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Parsley, Minced
- 1 tbsp Organic Falafel Seasoning
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups grapeseed oil, for frying
- If using canned beans, drain beans and rinse well. Process small batches in food processor until finely ground, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Process garlic and onion in food processor until finely chopped. Add parsley and Organic Falafel Seasoning, continuing to process. Add mixture to the ground chickpeas and stir to combine thoroughly. Add lemon juice and olive oil and stir. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Once the mixture has sat for 2 hours, stir the baking soda and chickpea flour into the garbanzo bean mixture until well-blended. Form the mixture into 1 ½ inch balls, using damp hands.
- Pour the grapeseed oil into a wok or deep pan so that the oil is about 2 inches deep. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook falafel balls in batches, turning so all sides are evenly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.