Coconut Cashew Shortbread
This vegan cookies are easy to make, taste delicious and are a sweet treat that is not loaded with sugar.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup solid (refrigerated) raw organic coconut oil (do not melt)
- 1 cup powdered sugar plus more for coating
- 2 tablespoons Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried dates finely chopped
- 3 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Lightly grease 3 light colored cookie sheets. (Dark sheets will brown bottoms too quickly).
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, in a large bowl, or stand mixer beat coconut oil and 1 cup powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla, nutmeg, and salt. Do not over mix. (If mixture is too stiff, add more coconut oil 1 teaspoon at a time).
- Fold in nuts and fruit.
- Using a spatula, stir in all flours just until moist. Do not over mix dough.
- Shape dough by generous tablespoonfuls into 1/2”-3/4” balls and place on prepared sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time until bottoms just begin to color, about 15 minutes.
- Cool on sheets for 5 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- To coat, place a generous amount of powdered sugar in a bowl and roll warm cookies. Transfer to waxed paper. Powdered sugar will melt into the cookie so repeat the coating a second time, then cool completely.
- Store these cookies at room temperature in an airtight container. You can make them up to a week ahead of time to keep your holiday baking schedule on track.