Lavender Vanilla Ice Cream
Lavender is a flowering perennial shrub that belong to the same family as mint and will grow in any Mediterranean climate. Lavender is popular among aroma therapists due to its sweet floral fragrance. It's flavor, however, can be controversial because some palates view it as soapy and lose the floral elements of the flower.
Lavender vanilla ice cream is a great way to begin to incorporate lavender into desserts. This recipe can be used with most home ice cream makers.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Cook Time: 6 hours
- 3 cups of milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Organic Lavender
- 1 Organic Vanilla Bean, scraped (save the skin and the seeds)
- Heat the milk, scraped vanilla bean skin and lavender in a 3 quart sauce pan on low heat just until milk begins to steam.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes to allow the lavender to infuse.
- Pour through a sieve or cheese cloth to remove lavender flowers.
- Beat eggs yolks, vanilla seeds and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Whisk lavender milk into the egg mixture and pour back into the saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, whisking constantly for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes and stir in heavy cream.
- Let this mixture chill in the refrigerator for about 5 hours or overnight before adding to ice cream maker.
- Then follow instruction manual.