Cardamom Sticky Buns
These cardamom sticky buns are a delicious breakfast or dessert. Light and fluffy buns with a sweet cardamom syrup is bound to be a family favorite. This recipe makes 12 rolls.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Cook Time: 2.75 hours
- 3/4 cup milk, heated to 115° (brought to a simmer, then left alone for 10-15 minutes until warm)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter (the rest of the stick) at room temp
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of kosher salt
- Stir together milk, yeast, melted butter and brown sugar in a large bowl; let sit until foamy, 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt; add to milk mixture and stir until a dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, 5–6 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit until nearly doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- While you're waiting for the dough to rise, make the cardamom filling. Cream all ingredients together and set aside.
- Uncover and punch down dough.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness and spread filling, roll up, then cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Transfer to a greased 8″ cast-iron skillet or 8" x 8" baking pan, nestling them side by side; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours, depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- Heat oven to 325°. Bake until puffed and pale golden brown, 20–22 minutes.